MERRILL, WI - Northern Wire - Part of the Elgin Fastener Group. 2nd Shift Tool and Die Maker .
The Tool and Die Maker will analyze specifications, lay out metal stock, set up and operate machine tools, and fit and assemble parts to make and repair dies, cutting tools, jigs, fixtures, gauges, and machinists' hand tools. Layout, plan and perform all bench and machine operations to construct, alter and repair tools, dies, fixtures, jigs and gauges requiring skill and a basic knowledge of tooling practice and application. Work from drawings and specifications. Use precision instruments for exacting measurements. Assume responsibility for quality workmanship and dimensional accuracy. Toolmaker(s) directly report to the Tool Room Supervisor.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Layout work and plan machining and finishing operations.
- Perform recognized machining operations; occasionally. Improvise standard tooling for special adaptations.
- Perform close and somewhat exacting bench operations to fit, assemble, adjust, align and finish work.
- Perform machine set-ups and operate safely; following established lockout/tag out procedures.
- Conduct test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications, making adjustments as necessary.
- Cut, shape, and trim blanks or blocks to specified lengths or shapes, using power saws, power shears, rules, and hand tools.
- Design jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products.
- Develop and design new tools and dies, using computer-aided design software.
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Inspect finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Lift, position, and secure machined parts on surface plates or worktables, using hoists, vises, v-blocks, or angle plates.
- Measure, mark, and scribe metal or plastic stock to lay out machining, using instruments such as protractors, micrometers, scribes, and rulers.
- Select metals to be used from a range of metals and alloys, based on properties such as hardness and heat tolerance.
- Set pyrometer controls of heat-treating furnaces and feed or place parts, tools, or assemblies into furnaces to harden.
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- Set up and operate drill presses to drill and tap holes in parts for assembly.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.
- Study blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Visualize and compute dimensions, sizes, shapes, and tolerances of assemblies, based on specifications.
- Ability to work 40-58 hours per week.
- Must have at least 2 years of Tool and Die Making experience.
Must be 18 years old.
Northern Wire, LLC is part of the Elgin Fastener Group (EFG), located in Merrill, WI. EFG is North America's leading provider of system-critical engineered fastening solutions. Northern Wire was founded in 1970 and was acquired by EFG in 2012. Today this corporation is part of one of the largest fastener and custom wire forming companies in the United States. Northern Wire has steadily grown over this transition and is currently at approximately 150 employees operating in a 98,000 square foot facility. We offer employees a clean, safe work environment along with a competitive wage and benefits package. We are dedicated to making Northern Wire a great place to work.